Friday, February 27, 2009

24 Week Doc Apt and Ultra Sound





God is in control. I need to keep reminding myself of that daily!!!

We had our 24 week ultra sound today. Both babies were sleeping so we didn't get to see much movement, and the nurse didn't get any pictures. Was really hoping for some, but that's okay.

First, our son...he is doing pretty well. He is head down with his body along my right side. He gave us a few nice shots that confirmed he indeed is a boy. He weighs one pound and six ounces, which is a little bit small, but not too bad for a twin. His measurements for tummy, head and leg bone are showing him at 25 weeks, so only three days behind schedule. Doctor said it is normal for the twins to be a little smaller than usual because there are two babies instead of just one.

Next, our daughter...she is a bit behind the boy. She is only one pound and four ounces, which means she doesn't weigh all that much less, but her measurements are six days behind the boys...so a total of nine days from where she should be. Doctor seemed a bit more concerned with her growth, so we will be going to see him every other week from here on out, and will go for another ultra sound in four weeks to check the progress.

I asked the doctor what I can do to help the babies grow. I was hoping he would say eat more, but he actually said I have gained a LOT (23 pounds so far) and to not do that. He said to eat more protein and that may help. The problem is that I haven't had meat since being pregnant. That's not true. Had chicken twice, both times it came back up, and have had pork a couple times which I was able to keep down. But the idea of a burger or the thought of the smell of chicken makes me sick. So the doctor suggested protein bars and shakes, as long as I get the low fat and low calorie ones. He was REALLY hitting it hard that I need to lower the calories.

So after the appointment, Kyle drove us to lunch (where I scarfed down a bowl of delicious pasta that was probably 1500 calories, and then we ran over to WalMart and got three different kinds of protein bars. Tried one on drive home that was chocolate mint and it was tolerable until I got to the end of it.

Also, had diabetes test today. The drink wasn't bad at all. Was really concerned about the taste, but it was basically just orange flavored sugar water. Will know results in a few days, but did find out I am severely anemic (probably due to lack of burgers) so he prescribed me a drug to start right away, which is apparently suppose to cost a lot. Will pick it up Monday (he gave me a three day sample pack to get through weekend). I imagine that the iron pills will really boost my energy level, and hoping they will help oxygen levels too as I am still really having problems breathing when I lay down.

Measuring at 30 weeks today (am currently 24 weeks and three days) and 133 pounds.

Prayers: God would help the babies to grow, that they would be healthy and well, and that we can carry them to full-term. That the iron pills would help and I would have levels where they need to be quickly. That the protein bars would help, and I would be able to eat some real meat. And that I can train myself to stay away from the pastas (or decrease pasta intake) and candy and be a little healthier.

No comments: