Thursday, May 7, 2009

This Breaks My Heart!

Tonight they put a halt on breast feeding and breast milk for both babies. We are so frustrated because each doctor and nurse tells us different answers and opinions about Keaton's infection. Three or four nurses have been made aware, and have seen, that I have open cuts (sorry if that's too much information) from feeding and I have asked several if it is still okay to feed them since Keaton has MRSA...they all say yes. I even had one nurse ask one of the doctors who said to continue to feed.

Today one of the nurses pulled me aside and said I should be tested for MRSA and should have my own pump set aside in Keaton's room to make sure that other mom's don't get it from me. I called my family physician to get tested but they didn't call back until after 5 pm and told me to get tested by OB.

Then tonight we go in and a different nurse told us we aren't allowed to breast feed, and not only that but they aren't going to use my breast milk until I am able to get a test done and get results that I don't have the infection. So they had their first formula feedings tonight.

Don't get me wrong - I do not have a problem with formula feeding, or anyone that feeds their children formula. However, from the beginning the doctors have told us that breast milk is VERY important for the tinys because of the antibodies and one doctor even told me that they are about 90% less likely to get an infection if they feed with breast milk instead of formula.

The only things we have control over are how often we see them, how long we stay, reading to them and providing breast milk. I feel like this is jipping the kids and we are very frustrated.

So, tomorrow I will call my OB and try to get in for a test, although we won't get the results until Monday at the earliest. I am going to call Urgent Care too, to see if I have test done there if we will get results over the weekend. We want them back on breast milk as soon as possible - especially with McKenna being sick again lately. Please pray I get in tomorrow and that we get results ASAP.

As for the babies, McKenna's heart rate was still high tonight. They say it will be a few days before she gets the meds out of her system and hopefully that will lower it. She still have not gained weight but is digesting all her foods. Her blood count is low and she will need another transfusion most likely sometime soon, but it's not low enough to give her another one yet. She had another ultra sound on the brain today and we are waiting for the results. She had another MRSA test on May 4 and it came back negative.

Keaton gained a couple grams, but not enough to bump him up in ounces. He is digesting food well still. He looks adorable in his over sized Preemie onsies. He has been doing well with the bottle feedings for the nurses and we were able to get him to eat 20 ml from a bottle tonight. We found out for infected babies they do the MRSA retesting every other week, and he now only needs two negative tests. So, that means minimum of a month in isolation. One week down, three more to go.

Thanks for standing in prayer with us.

No comments: