Monday, February 24, 2014

Kindergarten Screening

A few weeks ago I received a public school magazine with an ad to sign the twins up for kindergarten screening. The ad was cut and stuck to the fridge and each day I see it and get anxious at the idea of sending our children to school, all day, away from mommy and daddy and our teachings, and into a world where I have little control. When the kids were signed up for pre-K last fall I had a lot of anxiety attacks and was so stressed about how I would handle two 5-hour days a week away from them. Unfortunately, I have grown dependent upon them being dependent upon me. Luckily, those two days are filled with running errands, shopping, cleaning, taking care of the house and family and me time. It is my only time that is just for me, and Kyle has been amazing at not making me fill that time with tasks and activities but just letting me do whatever I want. Kindergarten will be 7 hours (I think) away from mommy, and while the time will no doubt be filled quickly, I struggle at the thought of going from full-time mommy to full-time house wife with kids away. A person can only deep clean, grocery shop, cook and organize for so long before they go crazy. Today was a big day. I called to sign them up for the screening. No, it wasn't the actual screening. That is still two months away. But signing them up made it more of a reality they are indeed leaving me this fall for school. I took a deep breath when calling to sign them up and when talking to the woman on the phone I actually got a little excited. Keaton lovesssss pre-k. He counts down the days to go to school. When sick, he cries because he doesn't want to miss. McKenna doesn't love school, but she has begun adapting. She loves her Tuesday class because she knows after it is dance. A part of her anxiety with school is the routine. While it is twice a week, that does allow several days at home before going back, so by Tuesday she just wants to be with mommy again. Kindergarten will be good for her to see Monday through Friday she has school. My prayers will begin today that God leads them to the right classroom, with the right teacher and the right students and friends. I can't wait to hear about their first day of school and all the friends they will meet and the amazing things they will learn that mommy hasn't been able to teach them. The next few months will be dedicated to enjoying every minute with the kids before they start the journey of school for the next 12 plus years, and hopefully I will be able to convince myself this journey is not about me losing my role as stay at home mom, but rather the kids learning their role as student, friend and amazing kiddos outside, as well as inside of their home.

No comments: