Monday, July 2, 2012

McKenna seizure

Now that I finally have a little quiet time I need to remember to updat things on the kids and record their history. Last week McKenna had a febral (sp?) seizure. She went to bed with a low grade fever, woke at 1 am to change her feeding tube and she was up to 102.8 under the arm, so they say add a degree. I quickly gave her Tylenol and ibuprofen and went back to sleep. She woke at 4 am screaming like I have never heard before and literally begging for mommy's bed. Sure she asks for mommy's bed a lot, but nothing that has ever sounded like this. Kyle was out of town, so I out her in m bed and she went straight into a heavy sleep rather than her usual tossing and turning. 7 am she started talking and trying to get my attention. I was so exhausted froma a very long night with her than I kept telling her to go back to sleep. Than 7:30 her eyes bugged out, jaw clinched and she started to shake. It wasn't violent shaking, more like a twitch. I rants kitchen, grabbed cell, called neighbor to come help with Keaton, grabbed a spoons to try to prevent McKenna from choking on tongue, unlocked front door, called 911, called inlaws to come over. Yes, in between this I was trying to help McKenna. Her seizure lasted about three minutes, from what I could tell on my attempt to time it. Neighbor was over within 2 minutes, right toward end of seizure, fire dept there within 5 minutes. McKenna was grayish pale looking so they gave her oxygen and talked about what to do next time. Don't stick your finger in mouth, which I knew but did anyway to see if I coul pry open mouth. My finger was bitten and hurt for three days. Don't use a spoon to open mouth,d could chip tooth and she would choke on it. Don't turn her on side until after seizure, which I did during to help control her body but they say that can pull something out of place. McKenna didn't talk for an hour after the event. She just sat there, exhausted. It was so scary to see your child helpless going through that. Two hours after it we went to her pediatrician, he said he thinks it was fever induced and we will just cross fingers no more. If she has another one in the future will have to see a neurologist. Just one more health issue our poor little girl has to endure. Breaks our hearts!

No comments: