Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Opening Her Mouth

What a blessed evening yesterday. I went to feed McKenna as usual and put the food on the spoon (apples and blueberries) and not thinking just put it in front of her mouth and held it there waiting for her to open her mouth. I was on the phone so a little distracted. And, to my surprise she opened her mouth. A fluke, right? No, she did it again, and again, and before I knew it McKenna opened her mouth for over fifteen bites. She spit out the food, or a good portion of each bite, but I don't even care because her mouth opened. And I think that I have heard that a lot of babies spit out food when you first start feeding them, don't they? they have to learn to swallow it and how to actually eat. Opening the mouth is the first step.

Then this morning I nervously put the sppon up to her mouth to see if she would repeat the same thing and open her mouth...SHE DID. Not only for breakfast, but for lunch and dinner too. And normally I feed McKenna 30 "tastes" each meal. Breakfast and lunch though McKenna opened her mouth for 40 bites. That is huge.

I feel so grateful for God giving McKenna this progress. We really have been discouraged lately and this is just what we needed. Now if we could just get her to swallow the bites, and to eat even half of a jar of baby food. And a food that is higher calories. She has to eat 120 calories every four hours. The jar of blueberries and apples, and the jar of pears are only 50 calories for a stage 2 jar. So we would benefit from her eating bananas or chicken or something like that.

Thanking God today. Excited to see what he allows her to do tomorrow.

No comments: